Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Senior tax exemption in Pennsylvania

Asked by: 2303 views Pennsylvania

How do I receive the senior citizens tax exemption forreal property?school taxes in monroe county, pa. I 67 yrs.old and retired.  Is their a form I have to submit. 

3 Answers

  1. admin on Oct 16, 2011 Reply

    Homeowners and renters, as well as some residents of boarding homes and nursing
    homes, may be eligible for a rebate on their taxes or rent. To qualify you must be:

    65 or older OR be a widow or widower 50 years of age or over as of December 31 of the current year
    OR be permanently disabled and 18 years of age or over during the current year

    AND have a yearly gross income of less than $35,000 for Homeowners or $15,000 for Renters.

    Seniors may exclude 50 percent of their Social Security and Railroad Retirement income in determining the eligibility income limit.

    All other income must be included from 2009 ~ interest, dividends, etc.

    Homeowners and Renters may receive:

    $0 to $8,000, $650
    $8,001 to $15,000 $500
    $15,001 to $18,000 $300
    $18,001 to $35,000 $250

    Applications for your rent or tax rebate on the taxes or rent you paid during the year will be available after February at the Monroe County Area Agency on Aging, local libraries, local State Representatives’ Offices, many local accountants’ offices, or from the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

    For information or help completing the form, contact the Monroe County Area Agency on Aging at (570) 420-3735 or toll-free at (800) 498-0330. Appointments are necessary. This program is made possible through the Pennsylvania Lottery Fund

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Dorothy Fitzpatrick on Jul 27, 2013 Reply

    Am I eligie for a property tax discount? I am permanently disabled and I receive Social Security Disability. I live in Monroe County, PA.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. roger dinkel on Aug 13, 2014 Reply

    hi I am 64 years of age n on disability I am behind in my taxes wondering if I qualify for any of these programs thank you roger.a dinkel

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question